|Christmas Tree Safety|
|By Member Chip Jewell|
|November 29, 2018|
The Libertytown Volunteer Fire Department wishes you a fire safe holiday season!! Many families will purchase a live tree from the many Christmas tree farms in our area. Please follow these simple rules from the American Christmas Tree Association to enjoy your tree and have a safe holiday season:
1) Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire, so look for a tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches. The tree shouldn’t be shedding its needles readily.
2) Always place your tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights, and keep the tree base filled with water to avoid a dry out.
3) Make sure all your indoor and outdoor Christmas lights have been tested in a lab by the UL or ETL/ITSNA for safety, and throw out any damaged lights.
4) Any lights you use outdoors must be labeled suitable for exterior placement, and be sure to plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
5) Keep all your holiday candles away from your Christmas tree, surrounding furniture and décor.
6) Bedtime means lights off! Don’t forget to turn your Christmas tree lights off each night.
The officers and members of the Libertytown Volunteer Fire Department wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy Holiday Season.